Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month


I do not personally need help becoming more AWARE of migraines. I am reminded approximately once a month now of how painful and debilitating migraines are. Sometimes they're migraines, sometimes I'm not so sure. I'm participating in Migraine & Headache Awareness month so that others who suffer won't feel so alone. I also want to help spread awareness to those who love or work with a migraine sufferer. There are a lot of myths and misunderstandings about this condition. I am still learning a lot myself.

I was in a car accident on my 19th birthday. Happy Birthday to me! That messed up my neck pretty badly and caused headaches off and on for several years. About 18 months or so ago, I started getting a new variety of headaches. These were 10 times worse than the "my neck is out" variety.

I haven't quite figured out what triggers these unpleasant events. Red wine is definitely one. Soy sauce may be another. I feel like the headaches are part of a bigger problem as I get other symptoms too that I think are abnormal. I feel it is important to educate myself and get support from others going through the same thing.

If you or someone you love suffers from migraines or other headaches, here are some support resources I find helpful:

National Headache Foundation Facebook page

MAGNUM - The National Migraine Association Facebook page

Voices of Fibromyalgia Facebook page

My personal Headache Board on Pinterest

What not to say to a person with migraines

Personally, my next steps, medically speaking, are to take a headache class at my local neurology center (cha-ching), which is not available until mid-July. They will instruct me to keep a headache journal for six weeks, then we'll go from there. Meanwhile, I am to take 500 mg of Magnesium and 400 mg of CoQ-10 every day for prophylaxis. I'll take a healthy scoop of prayer with that!

I recognize that my headaches were fewer and farther between when I was exercising regularly. Hopefully, now that I'm leading Zumba again, I will get to enjoy more pain free days in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment