Friday, November 15, 2013

Fail to Plan Or Plan to Fail Part 1

Last night was supposed to be ballet night for the girls (my almost 5 year old and her 5 year old 2nd cousin). Unfortunately, time got away from us adults. I picked up my kiddo after work with cousin in tow. After the pre-k pickup, we headed to the pharmacy to get antibiotics for the cousin. This task took way longer than I had counted on.

By the time I was in the drive through line, it was determined it was too late to get the girls home and fed before ballet. Hubs had gotten waylayed and dinner wasn't started yet. A flurry of miscommunication ensued between hubs, niece, and myself. We decided to cancel ballet and just go out to eat. That plan eventually got canned to. In the end, niece and daughter went home and I took my munchkin to ballet on an empty stomach.

This story plays out every night in a kajillion households. There's nothing to eat, so we make a bad choice: let's eat. This rash decision is often costly and not very healthy.  We plan our dinner menus for the week with the help of my bff, J'Ho at Mom Rocks Mealtime, and a variety of other recipe sites to inspire our taste buds. Unfortunately, life happens and plans get changed.

Jen posted an incredible blog about freezer meals this week. I am definitely going to check out the book it is based on and get some of those puppies in my freezer ASAP so we don't push the dining out emergency button again.

I have more to say about the topic of "Fail to plan, or plan to fail," so stay tuned for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment